Before I mention the main differences b/w Dewalt 20V 7-1/4 vs 6-1/2 circular saws, I want to tell what models are available in Dewalt 20V 7-1/4″ and 6-1/2 ” cordless circular saws in this blog.
DEWALT Cordless 20V 7-1/4″ Circular Saw
The following three models are currently available in DEWALT cordless 20V 7-1//4″ circular saw.
- DEWALT 20V MAX 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw Tool Only (DCS570B)
- DEWALT 20V MAX* 7-1/4 in. Brushless Cordless Circular Saw with FLEXVOLT® Advantage™ (DCS573B)
- DEWALT 20V MAX* XR® BRUSHLESS 7-1/4″ CIRCULAR SAW WITH POWER DETECT™ (Tool Only) (DCS574B)
DEWALT Cordless 20V 6-1/2″ Circular Saw
Only two models are currently available in DEWALT cordless 20V 6-1/2″ circular saw.
- DEWALT 20V MAX XR 6-1/2 in. Brushless Circular Saw (DCS565B) (latest Gen)
- DEWALT 20V MAX 6-1/2 in. Circular Saw (DCS391B) (Old Gen)
The Max, Max XR, and Atomic terms for the Dewalt 20V product line offer unique features. These terms may be associated with a tool or battery type.
|*DEWALT 20V Max||**DEWALT 20V Max XR||***DEWALT 20V ATOMIC|
|1. Standard size||1. Compact size||1. More compact size|
|2. Brushed motor||2. Brushless motors||2. Brushless motor|
|3. POWER DETECT Technology||3. Light-weight|
|4. Optimized for tight spaces, overhead work, and longer periods of use|
|*DEWALT 20V Max: It is the next line after 18V, introducing lithium-ion batteries.|
|**DEWALT 20V Max XR: Improved the 20V MAX line by introducing brushless motors and high-capacity lithium-ion batteries.|
|***DEWALT 20V ATOMIC: It is designed to be compact & powerful for a wide range of applications.|
Curious to know? How long the DEWALT 20V battery lasts?
- Main Differences between DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
- 1. Weight of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
- 2. Depth of Cut of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
- 3. Size/Dimension of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
- 4. Bevel Capacity of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
- 5. Blade Orientation of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
- 6. Dust Port Attachment of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
- 7. Recommended Batteries of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
- 8. No Load RPM of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
- 9. Rafter Hook DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
- 10. Price of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
- Similar Features DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
- Which One Should You Buy?
Main Differences between DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
Apart from the blade size, there are some major differences between these circular saws, which you should consider before making a choice.
1. Weight of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
The weight of cordless tools means a lot. Lightweight means you can carry it anywhere you want with you. Lightweight tools allow sound control over the tool, which results in greater accuracy.
The following tables summarize the weight of all Dewalt 20V 7-1/4″ & 6-1/2″ circular saws.
Note: The weight is taken with the blade but without the battery.
|Saw Size & Model No.||*Weight in Pounds|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS570B)||7.5 lbs|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS573B)||8.2 lbs|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS574B)||7.9 lbs|
|6-1/2-Inch (DCS565B)||6.3 lbs|
|6-1/2-Inch (DCS391B)||6.2 lbs|
2. Depth of Cut of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
The maximum depth of cut for the Dewalt 20V 7-1/2″ circular is greater than the Dewalt 20V 6-1/2″ circular saw because of the greater blade size. All Dewalt 20V 7-1/4 ” circular saw models have the same depth of cut at 90 degrees & at 45 degrees. Similarly, it is the same for both models in 6-1/2″ circular saw.
Exact Values at 90 & 45 degrees are summarized in the below table.
|Saw Size||Depth of Cut at 90°||Depth of Cut at 45°|
3. Size/Dimension of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
Dewalt 20v 6-1/2 circular saw is more compact than the 7-1/4″ saw because of blade size. Dimensions (without battery) are summarized in the below table.
|Saw Size & Model No.||Dimension in inches (L x W x H)|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS570B)||14.9 x 8.0 x 9.5|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS573B)||14.9 x 8.0 x 9.0|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS574B)||14.8 x 8.2 x 9.1|
|6-1/2-Inch (DCS565B)||14.7 x 9.1 x 8.2|
|6-1/2-Inch (DCS391B)||8.0 x 15.0 x 10.0|
4. Bevel Capacity of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
The Dewalt 20v 7-1/4″ circular saw (All three models) has a maximum bevel angle of 57° while the 6-1/2″ circular saw (Both models) has a maximum bevel angle of 50°.
|Saw Size & Model No.||Bevel Capacity|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS570B)||0 – 57°|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS573B)||0 – 57°|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS574B)||0 – 57°|
|6-1/2-Inch (DCS565B)||0 – 50°|
|6-1/2-Inch (DCS391B)||0 – 50°|
5. Blade Orientation of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
The Dewalt 20V 7-1/4″ circular saw comes only in Right-side blade orientation. While Dewalt 20V 6-1/2″ circular saw comes only in Left-side blade orientation. If you are right-handed, blade left gives you increased blade visibility & better control on rips because the shoe rides the material, whereas the right-blade saws give you more control when cross-cutting for the same reason. And vice versa for lefties.
|Saw Size||Blade Orientation|
|7-1/4″ (All Models)||Right-Side|
|6-1/2″ (All Models)||Left Side|
6. Dust Port Attachment of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
Dust Port in a circular saw is advantageous, especially when working in close spaces. You can connect a Dewalt vacuum adapter to these ports. It also saves time to clear your workpiece every time. All Dewalt 20v 7-1/4″ circular saw models have dust ports . But the older generation of Dewalt 6-1/2″ (DCS391B) doesn’t have a dust port, while 6-1/2″ ((DCS565B) do have a dust chute.
|Saw Size & Model No.||Dust Port Option|
7. Recommended Batteries of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
The Dewalt tools batteries are interchangeable. e.g., the Dewalt Flexible 60V circular saw (or any flexible 60V Dewalt Tool) battery is interchangeable with the Dewalt Flexible 20V circular saw (or other Dewalt 60v Max, Max XR tool).
Flexible tools only accept flexible batteries. The Max & Max XR tools can accept flexible and Max XR Dewalt batteries.
The recommended battery should be used to achieve maximum power & efficiency from the Dewalt cordless circular saw. The following table summarizes recommended battery for the Dewalt 20V 7-1/4″ and 6-1/2″ circular saw.
|Saw Size & Model No.||Recommended Battery|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS570B)||5.0Ah (DCB205)|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS573B)||6.0Ah (DCB206)|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS574B)||6.0Ah (DCB206)|
|6-1/2-Inch (DCS565B)||4.0Ah (DCB204)|
|6-1/2-Inch (DCS391B)||4.0Ah (DCB204)|
8. No Load RPM of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
The rpm/speed of the motor determines how many times the motor can rotate the blade for the given battery output. Greater rpm means more material removal from the workpiece. RPM values are summarized in the below table for DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw.
|Saw Size & Model No.||RPM/Speed|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS570B)||5500 RPM|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS573B)||5500 RPM|
|7-1/4-Inch (DCS574B)||5500 RPM|
|6-1/2-Inch (DCS565B)||4950 RPM|
|6-1/2-Inch (DCS391B)||5150 RPM|
9. Rafter Hook DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
A Rafter hook can be handy when you work on a Jobsite. You can hang it on easily.
|Saw Size & Model No.||Rafter Hook|
10. Price of DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
The approximate range prices (Bare tool) for all DEWALT 20V 7-1/4″ and 6-1/2″ circular saw models are presented in the following table. Amazon prices are the most reasonable of all other online stores.
|Saw Size & Model No.||*Approx: Price|
Similar Features DEWALT 20V 7-1/4 Vs 6-1/2 Circular Saw
Some similar features between DEWALT 20V 7-1/4″ & 6-1/2″ Circular Saw is listed below.
- All models came in with Blade Change Wrench.
- All models can run on a 20V battery. (Even though performance may change)
- All models have an electric brake.
- All models have brushless motors.
- All models have a 3-year limited warranty.
- The blade is made of High-Speed Steel of all models.
Which One Should You Buy?
The selection of a cordless circular saw is tough, especially when buying it for the first time. There are so many brands & sizes in the line out there in the market. But Dewalt has a reputation for cordless tools. The circular saw is no different.
The selection between DEWALT 20V 7-1/4″ & 6-1/2″ Circular Saw depends on your preferences. e.g., do you prefer a blade right circular saw? Go for the Dewalt 20v 7-1/4″ circular saw. Are you tight on budget? buy a Dewalt 20v 6-1/2″ circular saw.
The point is you need to list down your requirements & then compare them with all points mentioned above. This way, it will be super easy for you to select.
Personally, I like the Dewalt 20v 7-1/4″ circular saw (DCS574B) model because it has excellent run time, power, and advanced electronics. It can smoothly run on almost every Dewalt battery. Advanced electronics take care of the different Ah Battery, voltage, run time, etc.